Save up to 75%
Get a Free Insurance Quote Now!
  •  Privacy & Security Protected

Does my renters insurance coverage protect my possession while I'm on vacation?

1 Answer

0 votes

Renters insurance, also called Contents Insurance, is a type of home insurance policy that covers you for liability and personal property but does not insure the home or other structures on the rented property. Renters insurance is much less expensive than homeowners insurance because of the limitations in coverage.

Some home insurance policies will provide coverage for your possessions while away from home, but others will not. The possessions you leave at home will be covered under the policy, but the things you take along with you may not be. It is important to note, however, that some types of renters insurance do not cover your personal property when it is off-premise. This clause is typically applied to laptops and other personal electronics.

In most cases, you will be protected so long as you are traveling within the United States. If you are traveling outside the country, your renters insurance will not usually cover the personal property you take with you. To cover your belongings abroad, you would be better off to purchase travelers insurance that is specially designed for the purpose.

The only way to know for certain whether your personal property is protected away from home, either within the country or abroad is to check the policy or contact your insurance company. If the policy includes off-premise protection, then you are covered within the United States, but you should still verify the coverage if you are going out of country.

If your policy does not include off-premise protection, you may be able to purchase a rider for the policy to get that coverage. Contact your insurer's customer service department or your agent to find out whether such a rider is available for your policy. Aside from being away on a trip, having off-premise coverage is that it will also cover the property of a minor child who is in college.

answered Feb 8, 2016 by anonymous
Rates & ResourcesHealth & Life InsuranceHome & Car InsuranceTop Pages